Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Down!!!


That is the word of the day - DOWN! As in, I went to the doctor today and my weight has gone down. Yeah! I knew sitting around the house being sick was making me gain unnecessary weight. Plus now that I'm feeling better I've been walking after school with several teachers. Yeah!

So the doctor today - the quickest doctor's visit I've probably ever had. I was in and out in 15 minutes. He said two things that surprised me. First: don't rush out in October and get the swine flu vaccine. He doesn't feel comfortable with a brand new vaccine just out on the market being given to pregnant women en mass. Second: don't rush out and get a regular flu shot this fall. What?? I said. Well, for starters, I've never in my life had a flu shot, or even the actual flu for that matter. And secondly my pregnancy is textbook normal, so I may not have to get a shot. The jury's still out on this though. I have a feeling the doctor will eventually say go get a flu shot, but until then I sit and wash with warm soapy water.

So at the doctor's visit today he used that doppler thingy to listen to the baby's heartbeat. He says to me right off, I sometimes have trouble hearing the heartbeat using this thing, so don't worry if we can't hear it, we'll just move to the ultrasound room. What a vote of confidence! I was already worried about not hearing the heartbeat, because aside from the occasional headache at night - I don't actually FEEL pregnant right now. I feel normal, like I used to feel. So he starts the moving and searching. . . . and all I hear is swish, swish, swish. He keeps saying that's not it, that's not it. He finally says that's it! Well guess what??? It sounded to me like the same swish, swish, swish I was hearing the whole time he was moving the thing around on my belly. Go figure!

So today was a clean bill of health from the doc. But I can't help but stop and think. . . how does he really know? Just hearing a supposed heartbeat through a doppler tells you everything's okay? I'll just have to trust the doctor on this one!

A new month, a new picture. My 12-week shot. Not the best picture - there is a weird glare. But I am wearing actual maternity clothes now, so I'll probably stick with this outfit from here on out so we can get a good before and after series going.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment